Sunday, December 25, 2005

Chappy Chanukkah!


Christmas in Tel Aviv is not unlike any other day. Jessy had to remind me it was Christmas today before I realized it. It is for me, very refreshing to be away from all the consumer bombardment and holiday hubub. And best of all, I don't have to listen to jingle bells, ANYWHERE!

I spent a large portion of my day in the ER. It seems there was something wrong with something I ate... maybe someone just wanted to make me feel more in the family. I was attended by an American resident doctor who had grown up in Rockville, MD and had made aaliyah with her Israeli husband. It was comforting to have an American doctor, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit (yet again evidence of America minor). However, every time I encounter an American Jew who has made aaliyah I can't help but to wonder "why?" It's a strange paradox. People come here because they want to live in an entirely Jewish environment, but to be a Jew in Israel is a lot like being a Italian Catholic living in Rome. In some ways being Jewish in Israel is a lot less religious than being Jewish in the United States. Well... happy holidays, here's wishing everyone a Christmas day a bit more lovely than my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home