Thursday, December 22, 2005

America Minor

Sitting in the Mersand Café (our neighborhood coffeeshop)… enjoying a lively mix of American blues and jazz. I am embarrassed to admit I do not have the slightest clue as to who and what is being played. Ariel Sharon had a stroke yesterday, the New York transit system is down due to striking transportation workers, what else is going on in the world? Brett Favre should retire, man what a embarrassment, 48-3 defeat at the hands of the lowly Ravens on Monday Night Football no less. Israel is so funny, I have begun to understand as “America minor.”

Television, and all other media here, is dominated by the American influence. And I’m sure your thinking, yeah, and so is the rest of the world. But in Israel, I mean, TOTALLY dominated. Tell me what other country in the world you’ve been to where you can watch the live broadcast of ABC’s Monday Night Football… live! There are like five Israeli networks that are broadcast in Hebrew and the rest of the million other channels (because of course they have digital cable here) are all in English! I swear watching TV you’d never know you were outside the country. The Jerusalem club basketball team won the European club championships recently, the entire team is populated by black dudes from America. Big surprise.

On Sunday I went with Ahoova, Imri’s mother, to the Western Wall. She conducted a ceremony for a young French girl who had come to Israel to have her bat mitzvah. It was quite a moving little ceremony. Ahoova translated for us many ancient Hebrew prayers that I have recited a million times, but never connected the meaning. This is a major fault for American Jews, all these prayers we recite, do we ever know the meaning?

I printed some of my photographs today. They turned out wonderfully, they are truly some of the most amazing photographs I have ever taken (thank you Canon EOS 20D). The man at the photo shop was very impressed. Given that he looks at pictures all day long, I was flattered to receive his compliments.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home